Journeys on the Silk Road by Joyce Morgan, Conrad Walters @words_by_conrad for $1.99! @Lyons_Press #Kindle Biography & Memoir Daily Deal!
I like this new promo by Amazon! We get a special Kindle Biography & Memoir Daily Deal! And the new deal is…
‘Journeys on the Silk Road : A Desert Explorer, Buddha’s Secret Library, and the Unearthing of the World’s Oldest Printed Book‘ by Joyce Morgan and Conrad Walters (Lyons Press) is available at the specially discounted price of $1.99 on the US Kindle site. Also on Amazon CA.
When a Chinese monk broke into a hidden cave in 1900, he uncovered one of the world’s great literary secrets: a time capsule from the ancient Silk Road. Inside, scrolls were piled from floor to ceiling, undisturbed for a thousand years. The gem within was the Diamond Sutra of AD 868. This key Buddhist teaching, made 500 years before Gutenberg inked his press, is the world’s oldest printed book.
The Silk Road once linked China with the Mediterranean. It conveyed merchants, pilgrims and ideas. But its cultures and oases were swallowed by shifting sands. Central to the Silk Road’s rediscovery was a man named Aurel Stein, a Hungarian-born scholar and archaeologist employed by the British service.
Undaunted by the vast Gobi Desert, Stein crossed thousands of desolate miles with his fox terrier Dash. Stein met the Chinese monk and secured the Diamond Sutra and much more. The scroll’s journey—by camel through arid desert, by boat to London’s curious scholars, by train to evade the bombs of World War II—merges an explorer’s adventures, political intrigue, and continued controversy.
The Diamond Sutra has inspired Jack Kerouac and the Dalai Lama. Its journey has coincided with the growing appeal of Buddhism in the West. As the Gutenberg Age cedes to the Google Age, the survival of the Silk Road’s greatest treasure is testament to the endurance of the written word.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Bargain Alert! Tinkers by Paul Harding for $2.49! @bellevuepress #Kindle #Pulitzer #Prize
- FREE eBook: Raffles by Richard Foreman @RForemanAuthor! @EndeavourPress (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- FREE eBook: Touching the Dark by Jane A Adams! @EndeavourPress #Thriller (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- FREE eBook: The Night She Died by Roger Ormerod! @EndeavourPress #Thriller (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- FREE eBook: Forests of the Night by David Stuart Davies @DStuartDavies! @EndeavourPress #Mystery (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies by Nancy Naigle @nancynaigle for $1.99! #Kindle Romance Weekly Deal!
- Watership Down by Richard Adams (Narrated by Ralph Cosham) for $5.95! @BlackstoneAudio #Audible
- Leaves by Michael Baron for $1.99! @TheStoryPlant (#Kindle #Nook)
- Bargain Alert! Savor: Billionaire Bachelors Club by Monica Murphy @MsMonicaMurphy for $0.99! @AvonImpulse #Kindle
- Little Witch by Anna Elizabeth Bennett for $0.99! @skyhorsepub #Kindle Kids Daily Deal!
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…