Audible Daily Deal – The Skies Belong to Us by Brendan I. Koerner (@brendankoerner) (Narrated by Rob Shapiro) for $3.95! @TantorAudio
The Skies Belong to Us: Love and Terror in the Golden Age of Hijacking UNABRIDGED by Brendan I. Koerner (Narrated by Rob Shapiro) is Audible.Com’s Daily Deal, and is available today for just $3.95 (Regular Price:$27.99)! Enjoy!
In an America torn apart by the Vietnam War and the demise of the idealism of the ’60s, airplane hijackings were astonishingly routine. Over a five-year period starting in 1968, the desperate and disillusioned seized commercial jets nearly once a week, using guns, bombs, and jars of acid. Some hijackers wished to escape to foreign lands, where they imagined being hailed as heroes; others aimed to swap hostages for sacks of cash.
Their criminal exploits mesmerized the country, never more so than when the young lovers at the heart of Brendan I. Koerner’s The Skies Belong to Us pulled off the longest-distance hijacking in American history. A shattered Army veteran and a mischievous party girl, Roger Holder and Cathy Kerkow commandeered Western Airlines Flight 701 as a vague protest against the war. Through a combination of savvy and dumb luck, the couple managed to flee across an ocean with a half-million dollars in ransom, a feat that made them notorious around the globe. Koerner spent four years chronicling this madcap tale, which involves a cast of characters ranging from exiled Black Panthers, to African despots, to French movie stars. He combed through over 4,000 declassified documents and interviewed scores of key figures in the drama – including one of the hijackers, whom Koerner discovered living in total obscurity.
Yet The Skies Belong to Us is more than just an enthralling yarn about a spectacular heist and its bittersweet, decades-long aftermath. It is also a psychological portrait of America at its most turbulent and a testament to the madness that can grip a nation when politics fail.
©2013 Brendan I. Koerner (P)2013 Tantor
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Going On Vacation
- Normandy: A Graphic History by Wayne Vansant is $2.99! @zenith_press #Kindle History Daily Deal!
- A Sport and a Pastime by James Salter is $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Kindle Literary Fiction Daily Deal!
- Hard Going by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles for $1.99! @severnhouse #Kindle Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Daily Deal!
- Powerless (Hero Agenda) by Tera Lynn Childs & Tracy Deebs @TracyWolff for $1.99! @SourcebooksFire #Teen #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal
- A Well-tempered Heart by Jan-Philipp Sendker @jpsendker for $1.99! #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn @rachelcohn & David Levithan @loversdiction for $1.99! @randomhouse #Bargain (US)
- Thrive by Arianna Huffington @ariannahuff for $1.99! @RandomHouse (US & CA)
- Sometimes the Magic Works by Terry Brooks @officialbrooks for $1.99! @DelReySpectra #Kindle
- The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill, Robert Whitfield (Narrator) for $2.95! @BlackstoneAudio #Audible
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…