Bargain Alert! Enrique’s Journey by Sonia Nazario (@SLNazario) for $1.99! (#Kindle, #iBooks) @randomhouse
‘Enrique’s Journey: The True Story of a Boy Determined to Reunite with His Mother’ by Pulitzer Prize winner Sonia Nazario (Random House Trade Paperbacks) is now available at the specially discounted price of $1.99 for US Kindle, iTunes iBooks.
In this astonishing true story, award-winning journalist Sonia Nazario recounts the unforgettable odyssey of a Honduran boy who braves unimaginable hardship and peril to reach his mother in the United States.
When Enrique is five years old, his mother, Lourdes, too poor to feed her children, leaves Honduras to work in the United States. The move allows her to send money back home to Enrique so he can eat better and go to school past the third grade.
Lourdes promises Enrique she will return quickly. But she struggles in America. Years pass. He begs for his mother to come back. Without her, he becomes lonely and troubled. When she calls, Lourdes tells him to be patient. Enrique despairs of ever seeing her again. After eleven years apart, he decides he will go find her.
Enrique sets off alone from Tegucigalpa, with little more than a slip of paper bearing his mother’s North Carolina telephone number. Without money, he will make the dangerous and illegal trek up the length of Mexico the only way he can–clinging to the sides and tops of freight trains.
With gritty determination and a deep longing to be by his mother’s side, Enrique travels through hostile, unknown worlds. Each step of the way through Mexico, he and other migrants, many of them children, are hunted like animals. Gangsters control the tops of the trains. Bandits rob and kill migrants up and down the tracks. Corrupt cops all along the route are out to fleece and deport them. To evade Mexican police and immigration authorities, they must jump onto and off the moving boxcars they call El Tren de la Muerte–The Train of Death. Enrique pushes forward using his wit, courage, and hope–and the kindness of strangers. It is an epic journey, one thousands of immigrant children make each year to find their mothers in the United States.
Based on the Los Angeles Times newspaper series that won two Pulitzer Prizes, one for feature writing and another for feature photography, Enrique’s Journey is the timeless story of families torn apart, the yearning to be together again, and a boy who will risk his life to find the mother he loves.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Bargain Alert! 175 Kindle Books for $1.99 Each (Until 3/11/15)
- FREE eBook: The Centurion’s Wife by Janette Oke, Davis Bunn @davisbunn! @bethany_house #Christian (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- FREE eBook: Bite Me, Your Grace by Brooklyn Ann @Brooklyn__Ann! @SourcebooksCasa (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- FREE eBook: The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm @GinaLamm! @SourcebooksCasa (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- Sabotage Season (The Kicks) by Alex Morgan @alexmorgan13 for $1.99! @simonschuster #Kindle Kids Daily Deal!
- Mr. Bones: Twenty Stories by Paul Theroux for $2.99! @HMHCo (#Kindle #Nook)
- Don’t Look Behind You by Ann Rule for $1.99! @PlanetAnnRule @simonschuster #Kindle True Crime Daily Deal!
- Two Books in the Penryn & the End of Days Series by Susan Ee @Susan_Ee are $1.99 each! #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal!
- Texas Fury by Fern Michaels @FernMichaels for $1.99! #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- Hard-Boiled Mysteries by Joel Goldman @JoelGoldman1 for $1.99 Each! #Kindle Daily Deal!
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…