The Quick and the Dead by Richard Van Emden (@richardvanemden) for £0.99! @BloomsburyBooks #AmazonUK Kindle History Daily Deal!
Hey, Amazon UK Kindlers, you get your own special Kindle Daily Deal too!
Each day we will unveil one book in the Kindle Daily Deal at a specially discounted price–for that day only. Deals go live at midnight and ends 23:59 the same day.
And the new deal is…
‘The Quick and the Dead: Fallen Soldiers and Their Families in the Great War‘ by Richard Van Emden (Bloomsbury Publishing) is now available at the specially discounted price of £0.99 on the UK Kindle site.
There have been many books on the soldiers who fought and died in the First World War – The Quick and the Dead is the first history of the wives and children who were left behind.
At the end of the First World War, more than 192,000 wives had lost their husbands, and nearly 400,000 children had lost their fathers. A further half a million children had lost one or more siblings. Appallingly, one in eight wives died within a year of receiving news of their husband’s death. Few people remained unscathed and the effects of the conflict are still with us.
The Quick and the Dead will pay tribute to the families who were left to suffer at home while their husband, fathers and sons went off to fight, and the generations that followed. Through the stories in this groundbreaking history, we realise not just what became of our grandfathers but how their experiences influenced the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of a generation that they left at home. Against all the odds some stories ended happily – missing fathers did return, men thought to be dead returned from prisoner of war camps to a joyous reunion. For others the loss, while difficult to bear at the time, gave them an independence, drive and ambition that ensured that their lives were successful and a fitting tribute to those who died.
Very few people know that only the first minute’s silence on Armistice Day is in memory of the dead of the Great War and all the subsequent wars. The second minute is for the living, the survivors of the war, and the wives and the children they left behind. Through a unique collection of over fifty interviews, private diaries and a remarkable collection of unpublished letters written by the soldiers to their families back home, The Quick and the Dead is a history of those who are commonly forgotten and neglected when the fallen are remembered on Armistice Day.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- FREE eBook: The Eyes of Derek Archer by Vickie York! @HarlequinBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: Wednesday’s Child by Gayle Wilson! @HQNBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: Tears of Pride by Lisa Jackson @readlisajackson! @HQNBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: Dangerous Curves by Pamela Britton! @HQNBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: Redemption by Carolyn Davidson! @HQNBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: Blame It on Chocolate by Jennifer Greene! @HQNBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: A New Attitude by Charlotte Hughes! @HQNBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: Better Off Dead by Meryl Sawyer! @HQNBooks (US, Canada)
- FREE eBook: Tamar: Children of War by Deborah Challinor ! @HarperCollins (US, UK, Canada, Australia)
- Red Rising by Pierce Brown @Pierce_Brown (Narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds) for $5.95! @recordedbooks #Audible
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…