Empires of the Sea (1521-1580) by Roger Crowley (@crowley_roger) for £1.09! #AmazonUK Kindle History Daily Deal!
Hey, Amazon UK Kindlers, you get your own special Kindle Daily Deal too!
Each day we will unveil one book in the Kindle Daily Deal at a specially discounted price–for that day only. Deals go live at midnight and ends 23:59 the same day.
And the new deal is…
‘Empires of the Sea: The Final Battle for the Mediterranean, 1521-1580‘ by Roger Crowley (Faber and Faber Non Fiction) is now available at the specially discounted price of £1.09 on the UK Kindle site. The US Kindle edition (Random House) is $11.99!
A major success in hardback, this is one of the most gripping and exciting stories ever told of an epic period of international warfare.
In 1521, Suleiman the Magnificent, Muslim ruler of the Ottoman Empire at the height of its power, dispatched an invasion fleet to the Christian island of Rhodes. This would prove to be the opening shot in an epic struggle between rival empires and faiths for control of the Mediterranean and the center of the world.
In Empires of the Sea, acclaimed historian Roger Crowley has written his most mesmerizing work to date–a thrilling account of this brutal decades-long battle between Christendom and Islam for the soul of Europe, a fast-paced tale of spiraling intensity that ranges from Istanbul to the Gates of Gibraltar and features a cast of extraordinary characters: Barbarossa, “The King of Evil,” the pirate who terrified Europe; the risk-taking Emperor Charles V; the Knights of St. John, the last crusading order after the passing of the Templars; the messianic Pope Pius V; and the brilliant Christian admiral Don Juan of Austria.
This struggle’s brutal climax came between 1565 and 1571, seven years that witnessed a fight to the finish decided in a series of bloody set pieces: the epic siege of Malta, in which a tiny band of Christian defenders defied the might of the Ottoman army; the savage battle for Cyprus; and the apocalyptic last-ditch defense of southern Europe at Lepanto–one of the single most shocking days in world history. At the close of this cataclysmic naval encounter, the carnage was so great that the victors could barely sail away “because of the countless corpses floating in the sea.” Lepanto fixed the frontiers of the Mediterranean world that we know today.
Roger Crowley conjures up a wild cast of pirates, crusaders, and religious warriors struggling for supremacy and survival in a tale of slavery and galley warfare, desperate bravery and utter brutality, technology and Inca gold. Empires of the Sea is page-turning narrative history at its best–a story of extraordinary color and incident, rich in detail, full of surprises, and backed by a wealth of eyewitness accounts. It provides a crucial context for our own clash of civilizations.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie for $2.51! @OpenRoadMedia #Bargain (US)
- Bargain Alert! Bloodchild: And Other Stories by Octavia E. Butler for $2.99! @OpenRoadMedia (US & CA)
- The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins for $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Bargain (US)
- Essence (EVE Series) by A.L. Waddington @A_L_Waddington for $1.99! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Waking Up Joy by Tina Ann Forkner @tinaannforkner for $0.99! @TulePublishing #Kindle Daily Deal!
- (R)evolution: Phoenix Horizon Book 1 by PJ Manney @PJManney for $1.99! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller for $1.99! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Crow Hollow by Michael Wallace for $1.99! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Celebrate Kindle with these Bestsellers at £0.99 Each! (DAY 1) #AmazonUK Kindle Daily Deal!
- Bargain Alert! The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson for $1.99! @eccobooks (US)
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…