Book Review – Dead Ever After: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel by Charlaine Harris
The 13th (and final) Sookie Stackhouse novel from the Anthony Award-winning Southern Vampire series – and the basis for the HBO series True Blood.
There are secrets in the town of Bon Temps, ones that threaten those closest to Sookie—and could destroy her heart….
Sookie Stackhouse finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clearcut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated.
Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime.
But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough…
Sigh, I was really hoping that Dead Ever After – the latest and final Sookie Stackhouse book – would be one of the good ones. While there’s been several clunkers in Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse series, there have also been books that I really loved and consider favorites. I have really enjoyed the world that Charlaine Harris’ conjured up, and ended up loving many of her characters, so it really sucks for me to report that this last book – SUCKS. Badly. Way to go out with a whimper.
The writing was terrible (!) – the main mystery plot made no sense to me (and the subplots were all a mess too), the dialogue was clunky and unnatural, there were really egregious continuity errors (i.e. Sookie suddenly can’t read shifters’ minds – so what has she been doing all these previous 12 books? guessing what the shifters were thinking?), and none of the characters were acting like themselves (starting with Sookie herself). Based on this book, looks like Charlaine Harris is super-burned out, was dying to end the series, and just couldn’t care less. This reads like a really early draft that should never have been published as is. Shame on everyone involved.
I’m not even going to complain about the guy Sookie ended up with – I wasn’t really surprised since there wasn’t anyone left for her to jump in the sack with (although I was surprised with the speed at which she switched guys). To be honest, I didn’t really give a damn anymore in the end. Sorry.
Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris is available on Amazon.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Freckleface Strawberry by Julianne Moore @_juliannemoore for $1.99! @bloomsburykids #Kindle Kids Daily Deal!
- Europe Through the Back Door by Rick Steves @RickSteves is $2.99! #Kindle Travel Daily Deal!
- SEAL Team 13 by Evan Currie @Tenhawk for $1.99! #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal
- The Night Prowler Series by J.T. Geissinger @JTGeissinger are $1.99 Each! #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- I Am Livia by Phyllis T. Smith @I_AM_LIVIA for $1.99! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Willow’s Walkabout by Sheila S. Cunningham @CunninghamSS, Kathie Kelleher for $2.99! #Kindle Kids Daily Deal!
- Earthquake Storms by John Dvorak is $1.99! @Pegasus_Books #Kindle Science Daily Deal!
- The Mapmaker’s War by Ronlyn Domingue @RonlynDomingue for $1.99! @AtriaBooks #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal
- Two Books in the Fearsome Series by S. A. Wolfe @sawolfe_ are $1.99 Each! #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- Sleep Tight by Rachel Abbott @Rachel__Abbott for $1.99! #Kindle Daily Deal!
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…