Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal! Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut for $1.99!
I like this new promo by Amazon! We get a special Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal! And the new deal is…
Timequake (1997) exists in two conjoined versions (“Timequake One”/”Timequake Two”) and in meta-fictional mode is a novel about a novel, composed in short, arbitrary chapters and using its large cast of characters and disoriented chronology to mimic the “timequake” which is its subject. Some cosmic upheaval has hurled the entire population a decade back where, in full consciousness (but helplessly entrapped) everyone’s pitiable and embarrassing mistakes are helplessly enacted again.
By this stage of his life–he was 72 the year the novel was published–Vonnegut was still wearing his luminescent bells and Harlequin’s cape, but these had become dusty and the cape no longer fitted. Vonnegut’s exasperation and sense of futility could no longer be concealed or shaped, and this novel is a laboratory of technique (deliberately) gone wrong, a study of breakdown.
Vonnegut had never shown much hope in his work for human destiny or occupation; the naive optimism of Eliot Rosewater in God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater had in the damaged veteran Billy Pilgrim of Slaughterhouse-Five become a naive fantasy of escape to a sexual heaven. In the nihilism of Timequake, the only escape is re-enactment, but re-enactment has lost hope and force.
This is no Groundhog Day in which Vonnegut traps his various refugees (many escaped from his earlier works) but a hell of lost possibility. The temporal timequake of the title is the actual spiritual fracture of the 20th century, and in his 73rd year Vonnegut envisions no hope, not even the hollow diversions of Slapstick. Vonnegut’s imaginative journey, closely tracked by his work, is one of the most intriguing for any American writer of the twentieth century.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Tuscan Rose by Belinda Alexandra @BelindaAuthor for $1.99! @GalleryBooks (#Kindle #Nook)
- I Had a Favorite Dress by Boni Ashburn @boniashburn for $2.99! @abramskids #Kindle Kids Daily Deal!
- Fermented Vegetables by Kirsten & Christopher Shockey @Fermentista for $1.99! @StoreyPub #Kindle Cookbooks, Food & Wine Daily Deal!
- The Midnight Mayor by Kate Griffin @KateAGriffin for $1.99! @orbitbooks #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal
- Thrown (Aspen Valley) by Colette Auclair @coletteauclair for $1.99! @simonschuster #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- Two Books in the Miss Buncle Series by D. E. Stevenson at $1.99 Each! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Bargain Alert! The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon @say_shannon for £1.19! @BloomsburyBooks #KindleUK
- Bargain Alert! The Wilful Princess & the Piebald Prince by Robin Hobb for £0.99! @HarperVoyagerUK #KindleUK
- Bargain Alert! Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld @ScottWesterfeld for £1.68! @simonschusterUK #KindleUK
- Drink Time! by Dolores Payás for £0.99! @BeneFactumBooks #KindleUK Daily Deal! #Memoir
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…