Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal! Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut for $1.99!
I like this new promo by Amazon! We get a special Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal! And the new deal is…
Perhaps the most autobiographical (and deliberately least disciplined) of Vonnegut’s novels, Slapstick (1976) is in the form of a broken family odyssey and is surely a demonstration of its eponymous title. The story centers on brother and sister twins, children of Wilbur Swain, who are in sympathetic and (possibly) telepathic communication and who represent Vonnegut’s relationship with his own sister who died young of cancer almost two decades before the book’s publication.
Vonnegut dedicated this to Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Like their films and routines, this novel is an exercise in non-sequentiality and in the bizarre while using those devices to expose larger and terrible truths. The twins exemplify to Swain a kind of universal love; he campaigns for it while troops of technologically miniaturized Chinese are launched upon America. Love and carnage intersect in a novel contrived to combine credibility and common observation; critics could sense Vonnegut deliberately flouting narrative constraint or imperative in an attempt to destroy the very idea of the novel he was writing.
Slapstick becomes both product and commentary, event and self-criticism; an early and influential example of contemporary “metafiction.” Vonnegut’s tragic life–like the tragic lives of Laurel, Hardy, Buster Keaten and other exemplars of slapstick comedy–is the true center of a work whose cynicism overlays a trustfulness and sense of loss which are perhaps deeper and truer than expressed in any of Vonnegut’s earlier or later works. Slapstick is a clear demonstration of the profound alliance of comedy and tragedy which, when Vonnegut is working close to his true sensibility, become indistinguishable.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp @TimTharp1, MacLeod Andrews (Narrator) for $3.95! #Audible
- Head-On Heart by Anne Tourney @annetourney for $2.99! (#Kindle #Nook)
- The Twin’s Daughter by Lauren Baratz-Logsted @LaurenBaratzL for $1.99! @bwkids #Kindle Teens Daily Deal!
- How to Live by Sarah Bakewell @Sarah_Bakewell for $1.99! @otherpress #Kindle Biographies & Memoirs Daily Deal!
- To the Vanishing Point by Alan Dean Foster is $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal!
- Cowboy Come Home by Eve Gaddy @EveGaddy for $1.99! @Bellebooks #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- Rubber Soul by Greg Kihn @gregkihn for $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Kindle Daily Deal
- The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson, Ray Porter (Narrator) for $2.95! @BlackstoneAudio #Audible
- Croak by Gina Damico @ginadamico for $1.99! @HMHKids (#Kindle #Nook)
- Half Upon a Time by James Riley @_JamesRiley_ for $1.99! #Kindle Kids Daily Deal!
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…