‘5 Questions’ Interview With Kay Bratt!
Today I’m thrilled to welcome author Kay Bratt to the blog as part of the ‘5 Questions’ with authors interview series!
Kay Bratt is a child advocate and author who has spent the last nine years advocating for children in China, and is currently an active volunteer for An Orphans Wish (AOW). She is the author of a poignant memoir titled Silent Tears; A Journey of Hope in a Chinese Orphanage (which we have posted about on the blog before). In 2006, she was honored with the Pride of the City award for her humanitarian work in China.
If you are an author who would like to participate in the series, fill out the questionnaire here! And if you are a reader who wants to suggest an author for the series, just send me an email!
Describe your book A Thread Unbroken in ten words or less
A Thread Unbroken chronicles the journey of two courageous girls abducted from home.
Where or how did you come up with the idea for your story?
In an online article, I read about a woman who was abducted from home as a child, sold to a family and raised to be their son’s bride. Later in life, she tracked her original family and was reunited.
This sparked the story of Chai and Josi for me, as the subject of bride trafficking in Asia is captivating, and one I want to raise awareness about.
Which of your characters (in this book) is closest to your heart and why?
Chai is one of the girls in my story and the one I’m most partial to.
Unlike her best friend who is timid and feels hopeless, Chai has an unbreakable courageous spirit and will not give up on her hopes of going home.
Do you have a day job? If yes, tell us about it and how did that affect your writing / publishing process?
My ‘other job’ is advocating for children in orphanages, and I’m able to do that with my writing.
It all blends nicely together and many real stories depicting real people are the flame that starts my creative juices going.
Tell us about an upcoming book or project you’re excited about
I am currently working on a series called “The Scavenger’s Daughters“, inspired by the true story of a man in China who while doing his day labor of collecting trash, picked up over a dozen abandoned girls and took them in. Children that society has deemed less than trash because of their gender became beloved daughters to him.
While a bit different than that of the real man, it is his story that sparked ‘The Scavenger’s Daughters‘ idea for me.
Bonus Question! Fill in the blank: If you like ___, you’ll probably like my book too!
My books have been compared to those of Lisa See and though I have a long way to go to ever earn such a compliment, it is something I will continue to aspire to.
A Thread Unbroken is available on Amazon (Kindle).
Check out Kay Bratt’s Amazon author page for more info and browse through her other books!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Captain Underpants & the Attack of the Talking Toilets by Dav Pilkey for $1.99! @Scholastic #Kindle Kids Daily Deal!
- Search Inside Yourself by Chade-Meng Tan @chademeng for $1.99! @HarperOne #Kindle Inspirational Daily Deal!
- Feed (Newsflesh) by Mira Grant $1.99! @orbitbooks #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal
- Broken Honor by Tonya Burrows @tonyaburrows for $0.99! @EntangledSelect #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- 10 Books in the Agatha Raisin Mysteries Series by M.C. Beaton for $2.99 Each! @MinotaurBooks #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Bargain Alert! Sixty Million Frenchmen Can’t Be Wrong by Jean-Benoit Nadeau & Julie Barlow @NadeauBarlow for $2.99! @Sourcebooks (US)
- Bargain Alert! Trap Line by Carl Hiaasen @Carl_Hiaasen & Bill Montalbano for $2.08! @OpenRoadMedia (US)
- Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron @Rachel_Aaron, Vikas Adam (Narrator) for $3.95! #Audible
- Just One Year (Just One Day) by Gayle Forman @gayleforman for $2.99! @penguinusa #Kindle Teens Daily Deal!
- Fortune’s Children by Arthur T. Vanderbilt II for $1.99! @Morrow_PB #Kindle Biographies & Memoirs Daily Deal!
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…