Indie Saturday – Author Talli Roland on “Build A Man”
Today, we have author Talli Roland featured on the blog’s ‘Indie Saturday‘ for her romantic comedy “Build A Man” (Available on Amazon). Perfect for Chick lit readers looking for an uplifting read marked by tongue-in-cheek humor (while tackling such ‘heavy’ topics as the perils of cosmetic surgery and the ugly side of tabloid journalism). The sequel Construct A Couple will hopefully be set for release soon!
Author Talli Roland writes about ‘Build A Man’ (and why she loves writing about strong female characters):
I enjoy sweetness and light as much as the next gal, but sometimes it can get a tiny bit irritating to watch female characters spin in hopeless circles as they eat their way through cupcakes and trot off to buy high heels. Where are the successful, professional women who stand up for themselves and don’t fall to bits when faced with hunky men? Where are the protagonists who aren’t afraid to speak their mind, who drink whisky not spritzers, and chow down on potato chips not chocolate?
Don’t get me wrong: I’m a big fan of romance and love. But I want to see a couple come together as equals, after the woman sorts out problems herself – not because the hero has swooped in, snapped his fingers and made everything fine. I want the woman to be a person in her own right; I’ve never understood the attraction of the sentiment ‘you complete me’. In our modern times, women do it all. Why shouldn’t our chick lit protagonists represent that?
In my novel Build A Man, main character Serenity Holland doesn’t hesitate to pursue her ambition of being a top tabloid reporter, despite many obstacles in the way. She’s far from perfect – in fact, she takes quite a few wrong turns! – but she certainly isn’t dithering or ditzy. She makes firm decisions and follows through. In spite of her flaws and the fact that she unwittingly hurts others, I can’t help but respect her drive. By the end of the novel, she’s learned what’s really important . . . and found love along the way, without sacrificing who she is to get it. After all, isn’t that true romance? Two people who don’t need each other, but who choose to share their lives because they want to.
And that’s why I love writing strong female characters!
Bestselling novelist Talli Roland has three loves in her life: chick lit, coffee, and wine. Born and raised in Canada, Talli now lives in London, where she savours the great cultural life (coffee and wine). Her debut novel, The Hating Game, was shortlisted for Best Romantic Read at the UK’s Festival of Romance, and her second, Watching Willow Watts, was selected as a 2011 Amazon Customer Favourite. Build A Man is her latest release.
Build A Man by Talli Roland is available at Amazon in Kindle format. You can check out her Amazon author page or her website (talliroland.com) for a list of all her books (also romantic comedies). You can also find Talli Roland’s books on Barnes & Noble.
Do you want to be a featured ‘Indie Saturday’ author too? Go here for more info!
Read an embedded sample of “Build A Man” after the jump!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Bargain Alert! Kindle Books: The Big Deal SALE again! Until December 22
- Getting Warmer by Alan Carter for $1.59! @FremantlePress #Amazon AU Kindle Daily Deal!
- (Amazon MP3) 25 Days of Free Holiday Songs @AmazonMP3 (2nd Batch Dec 2013)
- Day 37 of Amazon’s Electronics Gift of the Day Deal: Samsung NX300 Smart Camera Value Bundle
- Theodore and Woodrow by Andrew P. Napolitano (@Judgenap) for $1.99! @ThomasNelson #Kindle History Daily Deal!
- VALIS by Philip K. Dick for $1.99! @HMHCo #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal! @HMHbooks
- Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer for $2.99! @bethany_house #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- 3 books in the She Can Run series by Melinda Leigh (@MelindaLeigh1) for $1.99 Each! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Fourteen Books for Kids (Babies to Age Seven), $1.99 or Less Each! #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Breathe by Sarah Crossan (@SarahCrossan) for £0.99! @KidsBloomsbury #Amazon UK Kindle Daily Deal!
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…