Indie Saturday – Author Talli Roland on “Build A Man”
Today, we have author Talli Roland featured on the blog’s ‘Indie Saturday‘ for her romantic comedy “Build A Man” (Available on Amazon). Perfect for Chick lit readers looking for an uplifting read marked by tongue-in-cheek humor (while tackling such ‘heavy’ topics as the perils of cosmetic surgery and the ugly side of tabloid journalism). The sequel Construct A Couple will hopefully be set for release soon!
Author Talli Roland writes about ‘Build A Man’ (and why she loves writing about strong female characters):
I enjoy sweetness and light as much as the next gal, but sometimes it can get a tiny bit irritating to watch female characters spin in hopeless circles as they eat their way through cupcakes and trot off to buy high heels. Where are the successful, professional women who stand up for themselves and don’t fall to bits when faced with hunky men? Where are the protagonists who aren’t afraid to speak their mind, who drink whisky not spritzers, and chow down on potato chips not chocolate?
Don’t get me wrong: I’m a big fan of romance and love. But I want to see a couple come together as equals, after the woman sorts out problems herself – not because the hero has swooped in, snapped his fingers and made everything fine. I want the woman to be a person in her own right; I’ve never understood the attraction of the sentiment ‘you complete me’. In our modern times, women do it all. Why shouldn’t our chick lit protagonists represent that?
In my novel Build A Man, main character Serenity Holland doesn’t hesitate to pursue her ambition of being a top tabloid reporter, despite many obstacles in the way. She’s far from perfect – in fact, she takes quite a few wrong turns! – but she certainly isn’t dithering or ditzy. She makes firm decisions and follows through. In spite of her flaws and the fact that she unwittingly hurts others, I can’t help but respect her drive. By the end of the novel, she’s learned what’s really important . . . and found love along the way, without sacrificing who she is to get it. After all, isn’t that true romance? Two people who don’t need each other, but who choose to share their lives because they want to.
And that’s why I love writing strong female characters!
Bestselling novelist Talli Roland has three loves in her life: chick lit, coffee, and wine. Born and raised in Canada, Talli now lives in London, where she savours the great cultural life (coffee and wine). Her debut novel, The Hating Game, was shortlisted for Best Romantic Read at the UK’s Festival of Romance, and her second, Watching Willow Watts, was selected as a 2011 Amazon Customer Favourite. Build A Man is her latest release.
Build A Man by Talli Roland is available at Amazon in Kindle format. You can check out her Amazon author page or her website (talliroland.com) for a list of all her books (also romantic comedies). You can also find Talli Roland’s books on Barnes & Noble.
[tweetmeme source=”randomizemeWP” only_single=false http://randomizeme.wordpress.com%5D
Do you want to be a featured ‘Indie Saturday’ author too? Go here for more info!
Read an embedded sample of “Build A Man” after the jump!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa @Jkagawa for $2.99! @HarlequinTEEN #Bargain (US)
- Three Picture Books by Kevin Lewis & Daniel Kirk are $1.99 Each! @DisneyHyperion #Kindle #Kids Daily Deal
- Kindred Souls: The Devoted Friendship of Eleanor Roosevelt & Dr. David Gurewitsch by Edna P. Gurewitsch for $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Kindle Biographies & Memoirs Daily Deal!
- Warhorse by Timothy Zahn $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal
- Mimosa Grove by Sharon Sala @SharonSala1 for $1.99! @Rosetta_Books_ #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- Three books by Charles Bukowski for $1.99 Each! @eccobooks #Kindle Daily Deal!
- Celebrate Kindle with these Bestsellers at £0.99 Each! (DAY 2) #AmazonUK Kindle Daily Deal!
- Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie for $2.51! @OpenRoadMedia #Bargain (US)
- Bargain Alert! Bloodchild: And Other Stories by Octavia E. Butler for $2.99! @OpenRoadMedia (US & CA)
- The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins for $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Bargain (US)
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…