Book Review – From Dead to Worse: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel by Charlaine Harris
The eighth Sookie Stackhouse novel from the Anthony Award-winning Southern Vampire series – and the basis for the HBO series True Blood.
After the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina, and the manmade horror of the explosion at the vampire summit, Sookie Stackhouse is safe but dazed, yearning for things to get back to normal. But her boyfriend Quinn is among the missing. And things are changing, whether the weres and vamps in her corner of Louisiana like it or not. In the ensuing battles, Sookie faces danger, death…and once more, betrayal by someone she loves. And when the fur has finished flying and the cold blood ceases flowing, her world will be forever altered.
Finally finished the Sookie Stackhouse 8-copy Boxed Set (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) by Charlaine Harris, and have to say the set ended on a pretty strong note for me (which makes me look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series!)
In From Dead to Worse – the eighth book in the series starring telepathic waitress (and supernatural creature magnet) Sookie Stackhouse – Sookie’s in the middle of things as usual as she happens to be front and center when both the Shreveport were-pack and the Louisiana vampires become involved in intra-species power struggles and hostile takeovers. Sookie also learns some more about her fairy heritage, including meeting some unexpected new members of her family – and I won’t spoil much, but I have to say that I loved how the book ended on that poignant-wistful note. Made me want to rush out and check out the future books just to find out if this new character (Spoiler!) is featured again :)
From Dead to Worse starts out a bit slowly, but was soon chock-full of various exciting plots and subplots. My head was fairly exploding from all the twists and turns, plus the startling revelations that kept on coming Sookie’s way. All the supernatural creatures (were-wolves, vampires, witches, fairies, shifter, were-panthers, were-tiger etc.) seemed to be out in full force and creating some trouble for Sookie in this installment. There’s a lot of moving parts with this one, and while it did at times feel all over the map, and made me wonder if I was really reading a collection of two novellas and three/four short stories crammed into one book, but whatever – I really enjoyed all the moving parts :) Plus a lot of the hanging plot points and loose ends finally got some resolution here, so I was happy with that.
And another reason I liked this installment – the vampire Eric Northman – love his character! Out of all the characters, Ms Harris continues to write Eric really well, and once again, she provides some growth for his character. I’d really love to find out where the new revelations about Eric leads to. (Just wanted to say as a disappointed viewer of True Blood season four that I wished that the TV show handled Eric’s amnesia as well as Charlaine Harris did in the books, oh well)
For a second opinion – here’s some reviews of From Dead to Worse by other bloggers:
- Love Vampires – “Highly recommended reading.”
- Rhapsody in Books – “has a bit less charm that the previous books”
- Diary of a Domestic Goddess – “firmly back on track”
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Most Popular Posts
- Going On Vacation
- Normandy: A Graphic History by Wayne Vansant is $2.99! @zenith_press #Kindle History Daily Deal!
- A Sport and a Pastime by James Salter is $1.99! @OpenRoadMedia #Kindle Literary Fiction Daily Deal!
- Hard Going by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles for $1.99! @severnhouse #Kindle Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Daily Deal!
- Powerless (Hero Agenda) by Tera Lynn Childs & Tracy Deebs @TracyWolff for $1.99! @SourcebooksFire #Teen #Kindle Sci-Fi / Fantasy Daily Deal
- A Well-tempered Heart by Jan-Philipp Sendker @jpsendker for $1.99! #Kindle Romance Daily Deal!
- Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn @rachelcohn & David Levithan @loversdiction for $1.99! @randomhouse #Bargain (US)
- Thrive by Arianna Huffington @ariannahuff for $1.99! @RandomHouse (US & CA)
- Sometimes the Magic Works by Terry Brooks @officialbrooks for $1.99! @DelReySpectra #Kindle
- The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill, Robert Whitfield (Narrator) for $2.95! @BlackstoneAudio #Audible
WP Book Bloggers Directory!
Kradam Fan Fiction – Minus the crappy ones…
- The Devilstone Registry: Ch 1 Head of the Trail (Adam/Kris, PG-R), Ch 2 The Tale of Matty the Mute, Ch 3 The Foundation, Ch 4 Turning Blue, Ch 5 Among the Fragments, Ch 6 Snoop and Ye Shall Find, Ch 7 A Distant Bell, Ch 8 Female Troubles, Ch 9 The 3:10 to Little Rock, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 1, Ch 10 The Western Boys - PART 2, 4/?
Translate this blog into different languages…