Home > Entertainment, Videos > What Happened to Clay Aiken’s Voice?

What Happened to Clay Aiken’s Voice?

October 20, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

Clay Aiken recently held a mini-concert for the NIP 2009 Gala in Raleigh NC, and some of the fan-taken videos were uploaded to YouTube. Maybe the fans shouldn’t have done that, since Clay sounds terrible.

Here he is singing “As Long As We’re Here” and it is truly painful to listen to this. What happened to Clay? Did he have a cold or something? Does he smoke? He was barely in tune in many, many parts and was horrendous at the 1 min or so mark (strained and off key, to boot!).

I also remember watching Clay singing a part of “Moon River” a long, long time ago for some ABC interview on him, and wishing to hear the whole thing. Well, be careful what you wish for – Clay sings ‘Moon River’ and while he sounds better here, his voice is pretty unsteady still. What happened to his pipes of steel?

If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by RSS Or by Email

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

Email to a friend

thanks

About these ads
  1. June
    October 20, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I was there. While there was the occasional crack in his voice, I thought he sounded good. Out of tune? Nope. Not Clay. Moon River was really beautiful. That man knows how to style a song. I think his problem is that he hasn’t performed much during the past year or so and needs to get his voice back into shape. Plus, he just lost his beloved grandfather, and I don’t think his mind has been on singing lately. I’m not making excuses for him because I think he’s wasting his gift by not performing and taking care of himself. I rather think that he takes his voice for granted, and that to me isn’t smart. I hope he gets some vocal training.

2. connie
    October 20, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Lol . I expected some kind of disaster . A few rough notes . Pffft ! I guess you don’t sing . I believe that he hasn’t sung in a year or so , has had extensive jaw surgery , has just lost a beloved family member earlier in the week and I am guessing had been talking most of the evening before he sang . This was a night for his charity , right ? Not a concert ? I am surprised the man is still standing . I couldn’t sing for weeks after my sister died because I kept choking up . I will give him a break . I would not want to be judged harshly under the same circumstances .

Oh , and Moon River ? I hate that song but that was a sublime rendition . Whatever is going on with you , good luck , Clay Aiken .

3. Denise
    October 20, 2009 at 10:52 pm

A few rough notes. What the heck it happens. Lots was on his plate that week.
    I still love his voice.

4. October 20, 2009 at 11:55 pm

It is easy to criticize when you don’t know all the background stuff. People have to remember that this was a charity event which raised a lot of money for his beloved Project and the singing was just a plus. Was he at his best singing? No, I don’t think so but he was his usual funny self despite losing his beloved Papa one week before.

I don’t think posting As Long As We’re Here on You Tube was the smartest move possible but the majority of Clay’s fans accept that occasionally, and under circumstances, he might not be quite up to his usual standard of perfection. But then, are any of us? The one he really shone on was “My Eyes Adored You”. He had a rough week but like the trooper he is, he carried on despite all.

As someone on his fan club said … this was supposed to be about Clay, the humanitarian, not Clay the singer. ‘Nuf said.

• Paula
      October 21, 2009 at 2:19 am

First of all, I am very much a Clay Aiken fan; no doubt about that!

I know this was a charity event, and a very worth one, but let’s be honest, his fans are there, for the most part, to see him and hear him sing. If Clay is going to sing, he should at least practice and get his voice warmed up. Also, to me, forgetting the words to his own song just isn’t right. He usually is such a perfectionist, so I don’t understand.

5. Kendra
    October 21, 2009 at 4:04 am

You exaggerate a bit. I thought he sounded beautiful on Moon River.

6. Sann
    October 21, 2009 at 6:52 am

Ouch! This was painful to listen to. It must be Karma payback for being a jerk about Adam Lambert.

• October 25, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Not cool – nothing to do with Karma. Has more to do with Clay just not being as good a singer as he was. Or just being plain unrehearsed for that night.

7. i
    October 21, 2009 at 7:34 am

He was definitely out of tune in some places, and struggled with the falsetto. ALAWH, one of my favorites on the album, was a little hard to listen to. But considering all of the circumstances, I’d say he held his own. I do hope he gets vocal lessons, though.

8. jay
    October 24, 2009 at 1:58 am

Then Adam best sit down and prepare because with all the insulting things he’s said about his fans, their gifts, and his general “attitude”, Karma will be a major bitch when she comes for him…he’s has more to atone for than an opinion that was shared by even some of the vaunted industry people Adam’s Glamberts trumpet about.

Not a huge defender of Aiken, by any means, but sounds like an off night; Adam will have them, too. Be careful what you wish on others, as it often visits those doing the wishing trifold the mess.

• October 25, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Wow, for a ‘not huge defender’ of Aiken, you’re awfully defensive. And being as offensive as the person who left the Karma comment.

• jay
        October 28, 2009 at 3:07 am

My point is that they ALL have off nights, and if it’s presumed to be Karma for some alleged/whatever mistreatment of someone else, then Adam needs to gird up because he’s already said some things published and verified in the media that can be construed as pretty darned offensive. No disrespect to your blog, no offensive intended, but the point of my post was that be careful what you wish on someone else as the one’s you champion may suffer a greater fate/karma pounding, as well.

Carry on….

• October 28, 2009 at 9:04 am

I never wish ill on anyone – so speak for yourself, okay? Don’t wish bad Karma on people you don’t know. I already said that other poster was out of line.

• Patti
      November 13, 2010 at 8:22 pm

What has Adam ever said nasty about his fans? NOTHING, thats what!

9. yvonne oosterlee
    November 3, 2009 at 6:27 am

perhaps its better to remove everything from clay singing on you tube immediatly

1. No trackbacks yet.